RE: [at-l] Obscure Question

Anyone with asthma will tell you it's much harder to breath in high humidity
than dry air.  I can't explain the physiological process, I just know I have
one *H* of a time climbing a mountain but add on high humidity and it's the
two-step all the way, two steps up, stop and breath.  I made a little nylon
bag on a string just the right size for my inhaler and I wear it around my
neck when I hike.    I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma about a
year ago.  Up until that time, I just thought I was always out of shape.
 What a difference an inhaler makes, not a cure, just means I don't have to
work so hard to get the air into my lungs.

Happy Trails and NEVER take healthy lungs for granted!!!

Gweneeth
Lone Wolverine or MINC

 --
Kahley said:

Now to my next question!  A couple recent hikes in super high humidity
have introduced me to new levels of oxygen starvation.  Again, a
simple concept that I can grasp...if the air is overfull with water
vapor (humidity), there is less room for oxygen.  Or is it that the
oxygen is less accessible to the lungs?  And had anyone ever compared
the effects of exercise in high humidity to exercise in high altitudes?
Could pulmaonary prob;ems happen at lower altitudes if one is exposed to
constant high humidities?

And is more energy needed to 'push' through the heavy air?

And in real terms, am I the only one who has real problems breathing
and hiking when the air is liquid? <<G>>