[at-l] dumb question

Okay, I'm about to really show my ignorance here.  Alas, I have an
excuse...since starting law school last week, my brain feels remarkably like
that PB&J sandwich at the bottom of your pack at the end of a hot day.  :)-

Anyway, went hiking yesterday (up Imp Face -> Middle Carter -> South Carter
-> Carter Dome...supposed to finish by bagging Wildcat & Wildcat E, but the
knees were saying NOOOOO!).  What a wonderful brain-clearing day.  Anyhoo,
every once in awhile yesterday, we saw double blazes on a tree.  We would be
going along and seeing single white stripes on trees, and then for no reason
(that we could figure out) there would be a two blazes lined up vertically.
What's up with that??

I'm sure there is a really simple answer out there and I'm providing some
comic relief for all the astute hikers out there.  You can thank me later...

:) Happy Labor Day,
Poohbear