[at-l] Postcards from Ron, Linda & Brandon Moak

Weekly Postcard - August 9-15
Rangeley - Monson

It was hard to say goodbye to Linda after the picnic at the lake in  Rangeley.
 We had worked hard to put this adventure together, and now  we'd be walking
through some of the best country without her.  Before  the hike, we discussed
the possibility that one of us could not complete  the trail, but I never
thought it would happen.  However, the trek would  continue as Brandon and I
head on to Katahdin.
Many miles and mountains have been crossed in the last few days.  We're  glad
to be out of the big mountains.  The terrain leading into Monson  has been a
good combination of climbs, mixed with level walking.
Fortune was with us as we crossed over Avery Peak.  A storm the day
before brought clear skies and cool weather.  From the top of Avery, we
got our first glimpse of Katahdin in the distance.  The next day, rain
returned with a vengeance.  We ended up walking 10 miles straight with
no more than 10 minutes of breaks.  The terrain was flat and in our
favor, but the rain was cold.  The shelter was full when we arrived, but
we put up the tarp, changed into dry clothes and crawled into our
sleeping bags.  There we stayed for the next 15 hours.
In the morning we put on our wet clothes and hiked down to the Harrison  Camp
for a 12 pancake breakfast.  Linda and I had stopped there for  another
pancake breakfast 20 years ago.  It sent a chill up my spine  when I found our
signatures in a 20 year old trail register there.   After taking the ferry
across the Kennebec River, Brandon and I spent a  long two days making it to
Monson.
Here in Monson we are spending a couple nights at Shaw's Boarding House
to prepare for our journey through the 100 mile wilderness.  It doesn't
seem possible that we are only about a week away from completion.
Many of the other thru hikers we've been traveling with are facing the  end of
the trail with mixed emotions.  Partly relief that it will soon  be over, and
uncertainty over what comes next.  For us there is no  uncertainty.  Work is
stacking up for me at home, and Brandon will soon  be back at school.  Soon
the trail will only be a memory.
Fallingwater