[at-l] Re: AT98 Communication

> Subject: AT98 Communication	From: Webhiker
>
> Does anyone else find it even slightly ironic that a bunch a hikers
> planning on sepnding five months in the woods, are communicating using
> the most modern form of communication?

I think we're just using the most efficient communication available.
Remember, technology is not "bad", it's just how you use it.  Also, it's
modern technology that is making our gear lighter and more durable.

As I pour over gear catalogs, it's always on my mind that "less is more"
and I've begun to realize that in my real non-trail life I have WAY TOO
MUCH JUNK!  This has been just one of the positive influences on me and
I haven't even taken one foot on the AT.  As I contemplate what to put
in storage, and what to give away, I hope that when I re-enter the real
world after my thru-hike I can keep the "less is more" philosophy going.

PS One note about LNT (leave no trace).  I would hope as people who
value not just the wilderness, but the planet as a whole, we should be
an example to other non-hikers following a LNT no matter where we are,
on the trail or at home.  I strongly believe in reduce/reuse/recycle,
and that is with me while I plan for the hike.

Jim "Dragon's Breath" Damico, GA->ME'98