[at-l] Trail Closing in Pa. Fort Indiantown Gap

Wow, they had to close the trail. That certainly brought back memories
from a hike on the AT I did near there in the 70's.

I was introducing a friend from Ohio to backpacking on that stretch of
the AT. He had driven out to see me and to backpack the famous AT. He
needed something to calm him since he was still decompressing from his
stint as a Marine pointman in Viet Nam. What better than a hike on the
pastoral Appalachian Trail? We were headed for St. Anthony's Wilderness.
I was unaware of a military base nearby. Well, you probably guessed it.
Those boys at Ft. Indiantown Gap opened up with M-60's, mortars, M-16's
and all other kinds of machines of destruction. Colin shouted incoming
and the next thing I knew, he had thrown me to the ground with him on
top. After I was able to regain my senses, the fact that I'd heard about
some base nearby entered my dim awareness.

Felt pretty bad about the entire thing. Colin finally settled down. Next
time he went backpacking with me was 10 years later in Colorado.

--
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com