Re: [at-l] Introduction and Help I Have Springer Mt Fever BAD!!!

Maggie,

Thanks for the info!

I haven't really gone canoeing yet (actually I perfer kayak and understand
that Okatoma does have kayaks) But really I enjoy hiking and kayaking with
others and don't know anyone here to go with yet.  That is why I was asking
about trail clubs and such.

I really do not understand why Ms and Al don't have more hiking clubs. All
I can seem to find is hunting clubs. Don't they know ecotourism is a
booming buisness?

Thanks Again

Dan "High Tech" Kohn

----------
> From: Margaret Wade <mwade@aidb.state.al.us>
> To: Dan Kohn <dkohn@merlin.ebicom.net>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Introduction and Help I Have Springer Mt Fever BAD!!!
> Date: Wednesday, August 06, 1997 9:23 AM
>
> Dan,
> Yes there is a "Hiking ALabama" book, but it too is not all that great.
> have it but rarely use it.  The maps are pitiful xeroxed copies that you
> can't read.  The longest (and still growing) trail here is the Pinhoti
(see
> http://www.auburn.edu/~hudsojt/alabama_trails.html ) I live very close to
> this one.
>
> The Sipsey Wilderness area is nice too, although it too wil be a long
drive
> for you.
>
> When we lived in Hattiesburg, we canoed alot on Black Creek and the
> Okatoma.  Have you tried that?  I think Black Creek now has a trail along
> it.  I want to check it out sometime.  Let me know what you think if you
> get down there.
> Maggie
>
> >Margaret,
> >
> >Small world, I live in Hattiesburg now.
> >
> >I did pick up "Hiking Mississippi" when I first moved here in Jan, but I
> >find the book a little lacking in details on the trail (but at least I
know
> >some exist). I even headed out for a couple of day hikes in the Desoto
> >National Forest (waiting for fall for better hiking weather now).
> >
> >Yea, I keep hearing that there is better hiking in AL, is there a
"Hiking
> >Alabama" book that you know about?
> >

> >----------
> >> From: Margaret Wade <mwade@aidb.state.al.us>
> >> To: Dan Kohn <dkohn@merlin.ebicom.net>
> >> Subject: Re: [at-l] Introduction and Help I Have Springer Mt Fever
BAD!!!
> >> Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 6:57 PM
> >>
> >> Dan,
> >> I read your post on the AT-L and I am from Miss originally but live in
> >> Waldo AL ( near Talladega) now.  I will be going over to the GA/NC AT
> >> tomorrow to hike for 4 days.  I do love it!  Where in Miss do you
live?
> >> grew up in north MS, Winona and lived about 7 years in the Hattisburg
> >area.
> >> I was "home" in Winona this past weekend and my sister gave me a book
> >> called Hiking Mississippi"  Have you got it?  I never knew there were
so
> >> many trails available in MS, but I will have to try some out.
Depending