[at-l] Ultra-light equipment

Hi Brent,
At the present I carry a Bibler bivy and a ground cloth for a total weight of
31 ozs.  There are times when I used my rain fly from my 25 year old Eureka
Timberline tent and a ground cloth for an approximate weight of 2 lbs (I
don't remember the exact weight).  I used this method in 14 degree weather
last winter.  Using this rain fly for a tarp you can get three people inside
with great protection from rain or wind.
Most of the tents I've seen and used weight between 4 and 8 lbs depending on
the size.
For me it comes down to what do I really need not what do I want.
Maybe you can borrow someones bivy or tarp and experiment in the backyard in
different weather conditions to see if it fits you needs?
Take care,
John O
>To you ultra-liters who carry tarps and bivy's or just tarps and no tents,
>do you also carry a ground sheet?  Isn't a tarp, ground sheet, and bivy
>almost as much weight as a tent?
>
>Brent
>Broken Arrow '99?
               John O   E-mail johno@mail.monmouth
                        Brick, New Jersey
60 miles north of Atlantic City   60 miles south of New York City