[at-l] Re: Extending the AT

----------

> My opposition to extending the official designation "Appalachian Trail"
> beyond the present termini of Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin
in
> Maine is based primarily on two factors: 1) management 2) thru-hiking.

I for one like the idea of more trails anywhere yet I think extending the
official AT would somehow hurt the strength of the AT, the public support.
The idea is one of ensuring quality over quantity. With the move towards
cutting budgets, I don't see how there is a possibility of one single
project ever gaining enough support to maintain the current trails and
acquire new ones. The do-ability of the At is why so many people can
experience it, and since every hiker is perceived to be a voter, Washington
has been able to justify the costs. Would they bite on the new expansion
and still protect the corridor, I doubt it...

As for the management, I have read about questionable  directions which the
trail has taken: the hut systems and their fees, SMNP permits, Baxter State
Park regulations- have frustrated hikers with the red tape and economic
exclusionary policies which they have embarked on.  Whether we like to
admit it, we humans are goal oriented and like to have accomplished
something bigger than ourselves- thus we can justify the time and money to
spend on hiking. How many people would not try to hike the AT if they knew
that there was no achievable goal? With the loss of that support, what
other support would the AT lose, and what effect would it have?

I just look at the permit problems of places like Yosemite and hope that
the AT can survive the growth of the 'sport'. Imagine the permit process
for the whole trail or the outrageous fees that one would incur on a
through hike if what the AT has now must become more of an economically
self-sufficient system..... I bet we would lose it all to development of
restaurants, motels, and RV parks. I know I am not the only one to hike up
a trail and reach the top to be disgusted by the parking lot full of cars
and the hordes of people doing the 5 minute photo op rest stop.

Elitism- well the AT is a trail for most people of average ability and
through hiking is part of the appeal. I would love to be able to take off
the six months and just hike the trail.. but at present I can't. One day I
will!!! If it was extended, it would be for the superfit Power Packers and
leave the average recreational hiker out! That means less voters and less
financial support. All hikers then lose....

A trail built anywhere is always good, but if they are lumped into one big
project it becomes a non economically viable project. Besides we should not
concentrate so much usage on one trail. The dispersion among many trails is
better for all hikers. Instead of expansion of the AT how about completion
of other trails which are incomplete: The Arizona trail, the Florida Trail,
And is the PCT actually finished???

I just don't see how we can have our cake and eat it too.....

Perplexed by the future,
Gary