Re: [at-l] re: latrines

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Northern Wind wrote:

> kahlena wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of solar powered, I've seen references to a solar powered
> > privy?  Can someone explain?                            Kahley
>

> Seems like I ran into a solar powered privy on the day I was hiking near
> Mount Rogers.  I believe that it consisted of a solar operated fan in
> the roof.  Not sure if it did anything else.

I read recently where someone is designing latrines that have the ability
to 'cook' the contents using some sort of solar oven. Somehow poop and
cook just don't seem to go together...

Could be that Yosemite or one of the other large parks out west using the
cooked poop as fertilizer...can someone confirm this? Also mentioned in
the story was the fact that helicopters are used to airlift the containers
out of the latrines on the Long Trail in Vermont. I think...

Anyway, interesting topic. Could use one of those around the house ;-)

Milt