[at-l] My pack ..long..

Hiya gang

Thanks again for the input!!!
To clarify...and answer questions.

The pack is by Jansport.  I've had it too long to remember
the model, but I think it is either the Kleittersack (sp?)
or the Supersack.  Sorry no tag remains.

The 4oz closed cell pad _is_ great.  About half the thickness
of the normal blue pad.  I found them at a store called
Jumbo Sports and bought the last two they had.  I think the name
was Earth Pad because they're made of reycled soda bottles or
something.  It's dark green in color and originally weighed
>5 oz but I'm short so I cut a foot off.

Spaceblanket ground cloth/sit pad....yikes???........10oz.

This is just one thing.  I use a heavy duty space blanket as my
ground cloth and sit pad and _can_ wrap up in it if the temps
plunge.  Also it's easier to pitch than my tarp for a bit of
shelter during a downpour or if I want to eat lunch out of the
rain. I understand multifuction is a big part of cutting weight.

Too many clothes......Gosh I envy the guys.  A pair of mesh lined
shorts and they're good to go.  But women have different plumbing
and construction.  If someone can teach me how I can 'shake it thrice'
and achieve the same results, please do!  But until then, I'll
keep the extra panties at 1oz a piece.  And temps last nite were
in the low fifties, so I'll probably need the polypros.  I've
tried sleeping in the anorak and wind pants but besides the
clammies, they make so much noise<<<G>>>.

The six in.square of camptowel weighs about an ounce and I use
it to keep my filter dry and semi clean. Bandana?...maybe..

For water bottles, I do use the 1 litre Pepsi bottles.
These things are great!!! I use them winter and summer.  Some
of mine are probably 2 yrs. old.  I know there was some talk on
rec.backcountry that they weren't tuff enuf, especially when
frozen.  But I keep a bunch in the freezer all the time and have
never had one crack on me.  Weight 1.5oz by my cheapo scales.

The six oz. for the Kraft Grated Parmesan container full of
gorp is wrong.  The gorp weighs 1/2 lb but the container
weighs 1.5oz.  I know that's more than a ziplock, but these
containers have a thumb-flip lid which means I don't have to
stop, dig out my gorpbag, stick my grubby hand in there and
then in my mouth.  I can just move one pole to the other hand,
grab the jar from it's holster, flip it open and pour into
my mouth.  No muss..no fuss...I like it...it stays <<G>>

The plastic box for the wet ones weighs 1.5oz, again I know
it's more than a ziplock but it lets me get one out without
getting the rest grubby.
BTW...another nifty container is the tube that Crystal Light, the
artifically sweatened type, is over-packaged in.  Weighs 1oz but
protects your grapes better than a ziplock.

Doublewall insulated plastic 16oz mug loaded with
 prepacks of instant coffee and sugar............... 6oz

That's total weight.  The mug weighs <3oz!!! I bought alot of
mugs till I found this light weight wonder in a local bagel shop.
It weighs lots less than my old SSmug and with the lid, it lets
me take my coffee 'to go'.  For me, a keeper if I have a stove.

The face wash..actually I've given up the campsoap, my error
in the original post. Five drops of this on the 1/4 wash cloth
and I can get my bod pretty clean.  I can get by with plain water
for a while but eventually , without something more, i get rashey.
I don't use soap on my dishes but I use a couple drops of this
stuff for my laundry if I feel ambitious. Just pop my undees and
socks in a qt ziplock, add water, mix and let soak while I hike.
Then at camp, drain (away from water) rinse and voila.

The belly bag, yep, you're right. Some of the stuff in there is also
in my pack.  This is my survival kit.  If somehow I became seperated
from my pack, or someone ripped it off, the stuff in there will help
me survive till I get back or am found.  Not really an issue on the
AT but where I usually hike it's prudent.

OK>>>The pillow...since I'm using the blanket, instead of my bag
I'll probably have to wear the polypro and my fleece jacket maybe.
That leaves me with the rain gear and my stinky hiking clothes to
use as a pillow.  I'm a side/belly sleeper which means it's my
nose that's stuck in the pillow.
I don't know...it's only three ounces...

All other suggestions are under serious consideration. Someone said
giving up one of my items wouldn't kill me for a day or two.  True!
I'm confident I could live with what's in my B-bag.  Well, maybe add
some Gu.  But I'm trying to work out a list that I can live with for
months and still enjoy myself.  That's different...

The whistle , a thermometer and a compass are on the zipper
pulls. No need for maps and such this weekend..the AT ..different
story.  One thing that almost evryone missed..I forgot a spoon and a
P-38.  Could've used the Buck Knife but that would be sacrilege. <<<G>>>

One question ...anyone know the weight of a Spydaco Web Knife?

Thanks everyone...I really mean it      Kahley

PS.  The waxed paper?????...there are no privies where I'm going.