Re: [at-l] Tuckerizing Kahley Gear

Ken Bennett wrote:

> > Suggestion leave the soap home.  Possible savings 1 oz.
> >

> John (or anyone else), this leaves no way to clean yourself. Well, a certain
> amount of body odor is okay for backpacking, but IMHO it is important to
> wash one's hands after using the toilet/cathole/latrine. This is one of the
> major routes for infection, including giardia and all sorts of other
> nasties.
>
> How do you deal with this if you don't have wipes or soap?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Ken

This post reminded me of my trip to Franklin, North Carolina during my
thru hike when I first hitchiked to town.  I smelled so bad  after 10
days in the woods that I was embarrassed to get into the car of the kind
couple who offered to take me to town from the road.  But, I didn't have
wipes or soap, so I rinsed off as best I could with creek water.
Looking at myself in the reflection of the car, I thought "not bad."
About half way to town, the driver of the car started rolling down his
window for "fresh air", and I began to feel embarrassed again.  However,
after a few more times hitchiking to town, the embarrassment over my
body odor began to fade :)

Anyhow....for over five months, I didn't carry any soap or wipes.  I
rinsed off every morning and evening with ordinary water.  And I never
got sick from ghiardia or any nasties. (Well, there was lyme's, but
that's another story.)  Maybe, I was just lucky.  But I'll stick to
ordinary water (that I don't have to pack) for cleaning up.  I'm with
John on this one.

Quid Pro Quo