Re: [at-l] Ultralite pack list?

In a message dated 97-07-29 15:31:28 EDT, kahley7@ptd.net writes:

<< Trowel and Paper towel quarters.............................4oz >>

Kahley, Friar Tuck pulled the trowel from my pack at Amicalola and I never
missed it.  Believe it or not, many people find that a "bell goes off to
signal your body" when you come to a shelter with a privy, and you are
usually able to wait until you get to one.  If a shelter didn't have a privy
I usually didn't have to "go".  In cases where there were no latrines for a
couple of days or if I just couldn't wait, I used a twig or stick to dig a
hole.  You're in the forest and they are usually abundant, so I don't think a
trowel is really necessary.

<< 1/2 oz  bottle of face wash, >>

I sent this home.  Each morning I took whatever warm water was left over from
my grits & coffee, and splashed it on my face, drying with a bandana.  I
think it was sufficient and it sure felt good - really wakes you up.  (This
is one area where I'm going to consolidate - I carried shampoo, bath gel, and
campsuds - all in miniscule amounts, but I only need one.  I'll either learn
to wash my cup, cookpot, and self with shampoo or wash my hair & shower with
campsuds.)

If your Scout water filter ever craps out you can get a much lighter one.
 Pur sent me the Voyager to replace my Scout and I love it.  Easier to use
and much lighter to carry - it has iodine in the cartridge also, so I feel a
little safer about the water than I would with a plain Hiker model.

Your pack is so much lighter than mine that I can't really critique much of
what you're carrying.  I finally left out the camp towel and just used a
bandana (I carried 3 bandanas <G> ).

Gypsy