Re: [at-l] Giardia #2

<< << I forgot to mention something very important about using iodine. It can
take
  up to eight hours to do its job in cold water and cool weather.  >>

 Dr. Marshall:

 I have the instructions here for using idoine-based water purification
tablets.

 It says to "...wait 10 minutes before drinking."  It further states that if
the weather is "very cold," wait 20 minutes.

 Huh?

Could be the difference between the tablets and the tincture of iodine,
though seems like the tablets would take longer. My info is from May/June
1996 issue of Appalachian Trailway News, Walking Well by Vernon G. Vernier,
M.D and is consistent with what I'd been taught 20 years ago; so could be old
news; based on larger volume of water than a water bottle; the conditions of
the bugs in cold vs. warm weather; or just being safe. Me, I'll let it sit as
long as possible (which, of course, may not be as long as I'd like depending
on conditions)

 Big E