Re: [at-l] Giardia

MManzano@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-07-29 11:43:17 EDT, MFHOWELLJR@aol.com writes:
>
> << Gypsy, are you serious that there are some who think there is no giardia
> in the US? Do they know where giardia comes from? >>
>
> I couldn't count the number of times that I've read posts which state that
> "Giardia is only a problem when traveling outside the U.S."  To my knowledge
> giardia is in water which is used by animals - beaver, cattle, etc.  I treat
[clip[

The numbers I have seen support giardia as disease distributed by humans, not
animals. The connotation "beaver fever" has unfortunately blamed the beaver
for poor human waste disposal habits.

The CDC has reported that the most commonly infected individuals are daycare
workers and new grandparents. Both are at risk due to exposure to dirty
diapers. The daycare workers because of their high level of exposure, and the
grandparents due apparently to a less hygenic approach to changing infants
than parents take.

Both of these risk groups seem to eliminate animals as the carriers...

I filter all my water unless it's a spring that has no chance of being
polluted by an uphill source. The fact that other humans are in the area is
enough to suggest the opportunity for giardia and other water-borne parasites.
 I use a First Need filter that has performed flawlessly for years and will
continue to carry it - even though it's a bit heavier than others.

-Tim  (Paddler GA>ME 99)