Re: [at-l] Giardia

In a message dated 97-07-29 11:43:17 EDT, MFHOWELLJR@aol.com writes:

<< Gypsy, are you serious that there are some who think there is no giardia
in
 the US? Do they know where giardia comes from? >>

I couldn't count the number of times that I've read posts which state that
"Giardia is only a problem when traveling outside the U.S."  To my knowledge
giardia is in water which is used by animals - beaver, cattle, etc.  I treat
all water, though I confess I sometimes don't scrupulously swish the treated
water around the neck of the bottle to disinfect it.  My filter (Pur Voyager)
has an iodine cartridge as well as a charcoal filter to reduce the iodine
taste.  I'm going to plan on carrying it always and look for other ways to
reduce pack weight!

Gypsy