[at-l] Giardia

Gypsy, are you serious that there are some who think there is no giardia in
the US? Do they know where giardia comes from? I suspect it only takes
"getting it" once to change one's mind. Our group of section hikers includes
a pathologist; we use iodine (either tabs or liguid;can't imagine either
weighs more than chlorine bleach) but we're usually out only 4-7 days at a
time. Both chlorine and iodine are posions, else they wouldn't kill the
little bugs. I confess I too even treat piped spring water since I'm never
sure if the source is open at some point to animals and their natural
response to digesting food.
Marshall