Re: [at-l] re: more ultralight suggestions

       Hi everyone.

  I was forced to go lightwieght on my thru hike last year due to an injury.
 I contribute my change in hiking philosophy to this injury and to Ray
Jardine's book, "The PCT Hiker's Handbook."  I suggest anybody wanting to
learn more to read his book (talk about experience!). Here's my 2 cents.

1. Shoes- running shoes.  I went to a place called Just for Feet that has
tons of discontinued shoes for 40-50% off all the time.  Good place to stack
up on a few pair.

2. Stove- Trangia burner and nearby rocks or logs for support

3.  Tent- I'll list two extremes on the financial scale- Stephensons Warmlite
and a lightweight tarp

4. Sleeping bag- Feathered Friends or homemade

5. Pack-  I ended my hike in Vermont using a Mountainsmith Backcountry.  ( I
was with a partner though)  Anything works as long as it's not made out of
material designed to withstand the impact after being dropped from sears
tower - just check the specs and make sure you go lite

6. Phone- no idea

Hiking with a partner helps.  It's amazing how mobile I became after dropping
all the gear I brought "just in case."  If I ran out of food, my pack was so
light I could hike 20-25 miles to the next road.  And enjoy it!

Rob Alexander

It's been great reading all the entries for the past several months.  My
roomate is about to move and it's her computer.  Until I buy my own....