[at-l] RE: Ultralight

Kahlena wrote:

> I have a similar model the McKinley, 4'10" that I bought used...luv it!
> But a pound is a pound and I've been eyeing the Adjustable.  Once
> it warms up and I can dump some clothes and my down bag, I'm seriously
> thinking of using my Jansport SuperSack 1'13", but I am still looking
> for one just like it, except minus the leather bottom, that has a
> slightly padded belt. And maybe a bit larger.  But I won't go above
> 2lbs.  Any suggestions?

My wife has a CampTrails McKinley.  I believe hers weighs 5 lb, 3 oz.
The only suggestion I can give is to find someone that will custom-make you
a pack to your specifications.

> I intend to make or buy a fleece  bag for the summer...should weigh about
2lbs<<sigh>>,
> but it's the bulk I'll need to dump to use a daypack.  There is no room
> in my supersack for a bag. But I can strap the blankie to the outside.

I'll bet FF would stitch up a lighteight, one-sided summer bag on request
(and for mucho dinero).
What do you think it would weigh?  M guess is about 1 lb, 4 oz., perhaps a
little less.

>Maybe not ultralight, but the best I can afford.      Kahley

When buying new (or should I say replacement) equipment, I like to use a
"dollars per ounce saved" approach.  For example, my new FF sleeping bag
represents $5 per ounce saved ($80 per pound saved).  My new Walrus Arch
Rival solid tent represents $2.71 per ounce saved (clearly the better buy
of the two, based on my formula).   My next purchase will (?) be a FF
Helios jacket to replace my 25 year-old down sweater.  The Helios
represents $15.42 per ounce saved.  Clearly, the bag and tent were better
expenditures of my limited resources.