Re: [at-l] ultra-light equipment

Steven Dopp wrote:

> Boots:  No recommendation.

me either

> Stove:  How about that 2.5 oz. Primus titanium job that burns gas
> cartridges?

I'll start out with my zzipstove...15oz and no fuel weight to carry.
This will be a big deal since when it's cold, I get a lot of comfort
from three hots and a coffee break.  I don't want to have to scrimp
on fuel when it's cold.  I'm planning on an early/ cold start.  For
performance, the Zip beats the Trangia hands down in my book. YMMV.
Once it warms up, I intend to try to 'go cold' .AAARRRGH...no coffee??
If that doesn't work for me, I'll get my zip back.  The Primus Ti is a
winner though, if it weren't for the problem of finding cannisters.
If I find that problem is nil, my beloved zip goes home till it gets
cold again.
 A half pound is a half pound.

> Pack:    How about the CampTrails Adjustable II?  An external frame
> pack with an advertised weight of less than 4 lbs.  I think its > advertised at 3lbs, 8 oz.

I have a similar model the McKinley, 4'10" that I bought used...luv it!
But a pound is a pound and I've been eyeing the Adjustable.  Once
it warms up and I can dump some clothes and my down bag, I'm seriously
thinking of using my Jansport SuperSack 1'13", but I am still looking
for one just like it, except minus the leather bottom, that has a
slightly padded belt. And maybe a bit larger.  But I won't go above
2lbs.  Any suggestions?

> Tent:     How much do you want to spend?  How about a Walrus Swift (mesh)
> at about 3 lbs, 08 oz.

Have tried on a bivy..the Eureka Gossemer 2'10".  But I think  I might
go with the Eureka Zephyr, 3'14" for 129.00. For an extra lb., I'd get
room for gear.  I have it's bigger brother, the Mountain Pass II,
4'lb 10oz, I think and I like it alot so far.  When it warms up, I might
just switch to skeeter net and a hoop and hope I can get in a shelter
when it rains.

> Sleeping bag:  How much do you want to spend?  How about a custom-ordered
> Feathered Friends quilt bag for one (imagine my FF Penguin cut in half).
> That should weigh approx. 1 lb, 9 oz.  and good to 20 above.

I bought a 20 degree down rect. from LLBean 2'10", 160.00,the mummy
style is 2'6".  I've used it in calm wind in 25 degrees in a tent with a
very thin closed cell pad, 4oz and a 3/4 ultralite thermarest 14oz.
wearing light weight polypro tops and bottoms and was snug.  YMMV
To start out, I'll carry a silk liner to boost the bag and wrap it with
my survival blanket if it gets really cold.  This bag has the advantage
of continuous horizontal stiching so I can also shake extra down from
the bottom to the top when it's cold.  I never thought of this till the
post on the FF quilt bag.  Thanks muches!!!  I intend to make or buy
a fleece  bag for the summer...should weigh about 2lbs<<sigh>>,
but it's the bulk I'll need to dump to use a daypack.  There is no room
in my supersack for a bag. But I can strap the blankie to the outside.

Maybe not ultralight, but the best I can afford.      Kahley