[at-l] trip report

Hi everyone,
    I just got back from a two day hike along the AT near Lehigh Gap in PA.
It was my first time backpacking in PA, and I had a lot of fun. We spent the
night in a shelter (I'm so close to falling asleep here at work that I can't
remember the name of it :) But there were five other thru-hikers there,
including Trail Snail, Moses, and Time to Fly. We also met Bigfoot while
hiking later. So if anyone knows them, they seem to be doing well.
The weather was really nice this weekend, if a little hot. However, it's been
so dry lately that most of the springs were dry, and we had to walk 1/2 a
mile to get to the spring, which was basically a little puddle.
I thought it was interesting that both Moses and Trail Snail were very much
into the idea of ultralight backpacking, and when I told them that I was
planning a thru-hike for next year, one of the first things they told me was
read Jardine's book. Both of them had given up on filtering, and were using
iodine or chlorine.
Well, better get back to work now, I really wish I was still hiking right
now!

                                                -Martha Montague
                                                 ME -> GA '98