Re: [at-l] ultralight morons

In a message dated 97-07-26 22:43:06 EDT, George wrote:

<< Not only do I wonder about the people working at the outfitters, but I
also
 wonder about the manufacturers sometimes, I would think they could make
 some money selling items that were marketed for the ultralight crowd, but
 as the guy at the shop said, maybe I just don't have enough experience :)

I also wonder about the magazines, i.e., Backpacker who focus on large packs.
 I have the writer's guidelines and photograph guidelines for Backpacker.
 They do not want material on, or photos of, day packs.  This eliminates any
material on packs which we would typically use for ultralight backpacking.
 Going ultralight will often enable us to use day packs.

In 1987 I fastpacked the John Muir Trail, 221 miles, in 8.5 days with a
Gregory 2-day pack with about 2400cc capacity.  When I looked at this year's
Backpacker issue which reviewed the packs, I don't think I saw anything under
about 3000ccs.

It becomes hard for those wanting to do ultralight backpacking to get good
information on packs and other gear.  Maybe we all need to write to
Backpacker and  open their eyes to those of us who pack light and don't need
the kitchen sink.

John Vonhof