[at-l] thanks and more ??'s

Thanks everyone for the great dog info. Sorry if I came on sounding a bit
defensive with my first note. When I was on this list last year I
encountered many militant anti-dog types, and I was expecting the same this
time.  Some of the hikers on rec.backcountry are real dog-haters too. One
even claims he will SHOOT any loose dog (even a well-mannered pet) he sees
on the trail!

Well anyway, thanks for the info. I've sent for the ATC's article "Hiking
with Fido".

Couple more questions if y'all don't mind:

1) How crowded is the trail, on average (eg. how many other people a day
would one see)?

2) What is "slackpacking"?  :)

3) Does anyone know the percentage of  would-be thru-hikers who actually
make it? Do most quit before completion?

Thanks!