Re: [at-l] Re: Tents

My wife and I hiked from Springer to Troutville VA  and from Katadahn to
Graylock with a clip lite 2.  I liked its light weight, and We  never
had any problems with leaks.  I am 6 feet and Pat is 5'10".  We would
put one pack under our feet and leave the other outside in two garbage
bags. We did this in 91 so I guess our tent is an older model.

We carried cup hooks - those small screw things with a hook to use on
tent platforms and I suppose they would be useful in shelters when the
bugs are bad. You just twist them in and set the tent up as normal.  Not
my idea - a through Hiker working at EMS in North Conway, NH - GoatMan
of 88 I think - he maintains the rattle River Shelter outside of Gorham
NH.

I have a clear lite too.   It is a pound or so more heavy but I like the
ventilation better and one can sit up to change and so forth.  I
understand the newer ones have a bigger fly.  It is a bummer to try to
deal with cooking in wet weather with either of these two tents as the
fly space is very small.  You just have to balance weight with all the
other needs.

We will be finishing our hike this summer (after the AT conference at
Sunday River, ME )  by going from Wayesboro VA to Graylock MA and We
will carry the Clear Lite, but if I were hiking alone I would take the
Clip 2. For $160.00 How can you go wrong.  A tarp or bivi are good
choices if the weather is warm and the bugs are not bad.

Snail & Pace AKA
Tom & Pat Winsor
Norway ME