[at-l] Dog-related questions

My dog and I are planning a thru-hike for next year. We are both experienced
backpackers and my dog will be carrying his own 15-lb pack containing his
own food and supplies, plus some of my gear. I am a solo female hiker and
would never even think about hiking without my protector/companion.

**Please Read**  Now before I get flamed, I will tell you that my dog is
competition obedience trained, is a registered Therapy Dog and by the time
we start our trip will also be a certified S&R (search and rescue) dog.  He
heels with me on a verbal "leash", does NOT jump on people, bark at nothing,
chase wildlife, mooch for food, or leave my side to mess with anyone else's
stuff. I will not be bringing him into shelters. He is on anti-flea/tick
meds, so will not be harboring or spreading pests. So please, save the
anti-dog flames for boorish dog owners and rude, untrained dogs.

Here are a couple of questions I'd like to ask regarding dog-hiking on the AT:

Is dry dog food available at most trail towns?

How much more expensive is dog food (and other supplies) at these towns vs.
at home?

Is the trail so rough on dogs' feet that he will need to have dog booties in
his pack just in case?

Thanks!

Deshi