Re: [at-l] Old Speck

Thanks for the information and images of the tower. I'm pleased to
see that the original tower is still more or less there and restored.
I've been waiting for it to fall over and be abandoned (like the one
on Aziscohos) for over ten years now. Even then it was missing guy
wires and one could rock it on its footings by shaking the platform.

I'd planned to hack off a chunk of it, as my grandfather carried
some of its members up the firewarden's trail when it was originally
built. Having it remain in service is preferable. Too bad the same
can't be said of the original Speck Pond shelter, which my *great*
grandfather helped build (with the 1936 CCC crew?), but had burned
down in the fifties.

--
mfuller@somtel.com, Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt. }>:-/> --->