[at-l] Cold Mountain

This is a little off-topic, but not really. Since we were discussing
"cold" backpacking trips, it brought to mind a wonderful book I just
read. It's called "Cold Mountain" and the author is Charles Frazier.
Copyright, 1997. ISBN 0-87113-679-1

This novel takes place during the Civil War (War of Northern Aggression
to the rebs out there), and is about a southern soldier's trek back to
his home near Cold Mountain in N.C.  He "backpacks" through some tough
territory and through the Appalachians. His trip is fraught with much
danger, since he is an "outlier". It is a love story, but the love
described in the book is not just the man/woman variety, it's also a
love for the Appalachians and the people there. Bartram is quoted
extensively throughout the book. So, lovers of the Appalachians, I
highly recommend the book. One of the best I've read.

Again, apologies for this being a little off topic.
--
Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com