Re: [at-l] In Need of A Story

Lynn Setzer wrote:

> I welcome any and all stories about the coldest night -- or day, for that
> matter -- spent on the AT.
>
> I got to have some relief!

Hmmm, Easter Morning, 1996, in Smokey Mtn. Nat. Park.  Temps in the
mid-teens, and I forgot to sleep with my boots in my sleeping bag.  My
boots were frozen stiff and I couldn't get them on my feet with my wool
socks on.  Had to walk several miles with just thin liner socks on and
my shoe laces loosened.  My feet finally warmed up but they were so
cold, I considered several times going back to the shelter and hiding in
my sleeping bag.  Eventually, the boots loosened up, and I added my wool
socks, which helped considerably.  Tromped through snow for most of the
morning.  Couldn't figure out why my water filter was squirting me in
the face 'til I realized that the cartridge was frozen.  Brrrrrr!!!

Hope that provided some air conditioning :))

Quid Pro Quo