Re: [at-l] Re: lyme disease

With regard to this lyme's thread, did anyone see the article, "Walking
Well" by Dr. Vernon Vernier in the July/August Appalachian Trailway
News.  Dr. Vernier states that while there are ll,000 annual cases
nationwide of Lyme, there are about 10 annually on the AT.  I know of 3
thru hikers, including myself, who were diagnosed with Lyme last July
during about a one week period, and heard through the thru-hikers'
grapevine references to another half dozen thru hikers who contracted
Lyme last year.Yeah, I know the grapevine is not always accurate. :))
Nevertheless, 10 seems awfully light, considering how many section
hikers, weekenders, and day hikers also use the trail in the northeast.
I wonder how reliable the reporting for these statistics truly is.  Just
to throw in my two cents:  if you have any doubts about whether you may
have contracted Lyme, insist that your doctor give you a blood test.
Early detection and treatment reduces the chances for long term effects.
Fortunately, my doctor caught it early, and I was able to complete my
thru hike.

Quid Pro Quo