[at-l] Hexamine tablets

SkylineJim wrote:

> Another very intriguing idea was to use hexamine tablets for fuel.

You can also find them at military surplus stores and catalogs. The
military issued them to soldiers along with trioxane tablets. Both are
formaldehyde based, so you have to be a little careful handling the
tablets then food.

Coglan's sells boxes of hexamine tablets and a small, shirt pocket sized
stove. You can also use the hexamine tablets in the tri-wing stove,
which basically folds out to provide pot supports.

The British military issues hexamine blocks instead of the small round
tablets. They use them with a small metal stove similar to Coglan's.
This stove is called a Tommy cooker.

Brigade Quartermasters (800 338-4327) sells the Tommy cooker (Item #
MSC80) and hexamine blocks (Item # MSC81, shipping weight 9 oz for eight
blocks).

> Fuel that weighs practically nothing

Well, not quite. The military hexamine tablets come in a cylindrical
cardboard tube with metal covers on both ends. They usually contain six
tablets. I don't know how much they weigh.

The hexamine burns for about 9-10 minutes on one tablet. Depending on
what material your cook pot is made of and if you use a wind screen, you
may be able to heat a cup of water. Using more that one tablet at a time
will increase the heat output. You can snuff out the burning hexamine
tablet and reuse the remaining portion. Hexamine tablets leave ash
residue; trioxane leave a black goo residue.

I wouldn't count on heating a quart of water at one time with these
tablets.

If you want more information or supplier phone numbers, Email me
personally.

Chuck
lawsce@sea.siemens.com