[at-l] SLACKPACK TOUR

1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
also visit website "www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404"

JUNE 21, 1997 - SATURDAY

	PETER PAN ran TIMMY to her starting point to hike, mile 15.9 on
the SKYLINE DRIVE.  SUNSHINE ate a quick breakfast of OATMEAL, and then
was driven to US 522 to begin her hike.  the guys and i then headed for
THORTON GAP on the SKYLINE DRIVE.  TIMMY has seen HUNGRY MOTHER on
FRIDAY, and HUNGRY MOTHER had requsted a ride to the TYE RIVER trail
crossing from THORNTON GAP at 8am.  she was there.  after a short
discussion, we decided that she really did not want a ride after all,
mostly because of the long distance that we would need to go (100 miles
or so).  she decided to continue hiking south from THORNTON GAP, but not
before we went to LURAY and had breakfast...
	after all of this, the guys dropped me at VA 55 to start my hike.
 SUNSHINE and my destination was AHSBY GAP (US 50).  we ran across one
another three times during the hike.  there were a lot of weekend hikers
on the trail.  the temps and humidity were high.  at one point on the
hike, i was in grasses taller than i was.  it was as if i were hiking in
the same sort of flora as seen in TARZAN or SAFARI movies, except i don't
carry a MACHETE!!!
	the van was at ASHBY GAP when we arrived.  we all then headed for
VA 638.  this is TIMMYs destination, and PETER PAN was meeting her there.
 at this same location is an isolated trail parking lot.  we set camp in
the parking lot.  GILAMAN and PANTHER FAN headed into FRONT ROAYAL to do
laundry, and brought PIZZA back when they were done...

JUNE 22, 1997 - SUNDAY

	TIMMY was hiking out from VA 638, so we left her and PETER PAN
there and headed for ASHBY GAP (US 50).  SUNSHINE and i hiked north from
there.  this turned out to be the toughest stamina challenge in recent
memoery, and it was only a 13.5 mile hike!  the temps and humidy were
very high, and the terrain was a roller-coaster.  i took it all in stride
for a while, but the ups were steep and long, and i CUSSED often...
	SUNSHINE was first to our destination, the BEARS DEN HOSTEL.  i
arrived a bit later.  we compared notes on the day and both decided that
it SUCKED.  i sat in one spot for a long, long time, trying to regain my
WILL TO LIVE!  GILAMAN and PANTHER FAN arrived with TIMMY, who had hiked
to ASHBY GAP.  PANTHER FAN had hiked about six miles of the EVIL trail,
and was in complete agreement with SUNSHINE and me...
	we took showers, then headed for the HORSESHOE CURVE RESTAURANT.
we arrived just as the kitchen was closing (the bar remained open an
extra hour).  the fellow behind the counter was kind enough to reopen the
kitchen.  we ate CRAPPY FRIED FOODS and LOVED IT ALL!  this place is
recommended...
	the HOSTEL is a large stone structure that has indoor bunks and
outdoor tenting.  SUNSHINE slept inside, i slept in the van, and everyone
else slept in their tents...

JUNE 23, 1997 - MONDAY

	SUNSHINE ate, and was on the trail, from BEARS DEN HOSTEL, early.
 i drove TIMMY to ASHBY GAP (US 50) to start her hike.  GILAMAN and
PANTHER FAN did some chores for the HOSTEL (a requirement for staying
there)...
	i needed knee braces of my own.  the one i had been using
belonged  to GILAMAN, plus i wanted one for each knee.  the guys and i
headed east on VA 7.  we eventually found a SPORTS AUTHORITY, where we
found the braces.  we also had breakfast...
	we headed back to the HOSTEL to wait for TIMMY.  she arrived, and
we headed for HARPERS FERRY, WV to meet up with SUNSHINE.  her father was
meeting her there, and she was taking a day off with him.  we had her
belongings that she would need for the trip.  we had supper at PONDEROSA
before SUNSHINEs father arrived...
	SUNSHINE and her father met as planned, and we headed back to the
HOSTEL for the night...

JUNE 24, 1997 - TUESDAY

	TIMMY ate, then hike out from the BEARS DEN HOSTEL.  the guys ran
me to the BLACKBURN TRAIL CENTER, another HOSTEL that is closer to
HARPERS FERRY, to start my hike.  this allowed for me and TIMMY to both
end our hikes in HARPERS FERRY...
	GILAMAN was waiting with the van when i arrived.  PANTHER FAN had
decided to hike the trail through the HARPERS FERRY area, and was still
gone.  he arrived, then TIMMY arrived.  the guys had previously secured a
campsite at the KOA campground just up the road, so we headed there.  we
all took showers.  HOOPS and M&M stopped by.  they had hiked to the
campground earlier, and were returning from supper...
	SUNSHINE and her father arrived.  we all went to supper at the
CLIFFSIDE INN (recommended), near the KOA.  we  had met SUNSHINEs father
when he picked her up, but had not had the chance to really speak with
him.  it was nice to sit down as a group and yak.  he is a very
interesting man with a great sense of humor (this helps if you hang
around us much), and we had a great time at supper.  SUNSHINEs father
headed home and HOOPS and M&M again stopped by.  we made arrangements to
go to breakfast together.
	we have now finished our long hike through VIRGINIA (over 500
miles), and have travelled nearly ONE THOUSAND MILES!  HARPERS FERRY is
where the Appalachian Trail Conference (the trails parent organization)
has its headquaters, and is considered to be the "spiritual" halfway
point of the hike.  the actual halfway point is about 85 miles further
north, in Pennsylvania...

JUNE 25, 1997 - WEDNESDAY

	we had breakfast at CLIFFSIDE INN (not recommended) with HOOPS
and M&M, then a short drive to the trail to drop off us hikers.  we
headed a short distance on the trail, then, via the BLUE BLAZED trail, to
the Appalachian Trail Conference headquarters, and waited around until
they opened the doors of the store at 9am.  we got our pictures taken
(all hikers that stop by get their pictures taken) and hung around for a
bit, then BLUE BLAZED back to the trail...
	the trail continues through historic HARPERS FERRY, then across
the POTOMAC RIVER on a RAILRAOD BRIDGE.  the trail then follows the
POTOMAC RIVER for a few miles along a former canal towpath, then into the
woods.  after a switchbacked ascent (my new knee pads are working fine),
there is a side trail to WEVERTON CLIFFS.  this provides a look back
towards HARPERS FERRY and the POTOMAC RIVER.  i sat and enjoyed the
view...
	the trail continues its ascent to the ridgeline, then follows an
old forest road for many miles.  my destination was CRAMPTON GAP (MD 572)
at GATHLAND STATE PARK, where there is an unusual looking monument to
CIVIL WAR NEWSPAPER CORRESPONDENTS.  GILAMAN and PANTHER FAN were
waiting.  SUNSHINE and TIMMY hiked on...
	us guys headed for RENO MONUMENT ROAD to wait for the ladies.
after they arrived, we headed for GREENBRIER STATE PARK, where the guys
had secured a campsite earlier in the day.  we showered, then headed to
the DOGPATCH TAVERN, across from the entrance to the park.  we carry a
book that describes the amenities along the trail, and it quotes the
owner of the tavern as saying "we take care of the BIKER TRASH and the
HIKER TRASH!"  this place is worth the atmosphere (if not much else)...

JUNE 26, 1997 - THUSRDAY

	i did not hike this day.  the ladies hiked from RENO MONUMENT
ROAD to FOXVILLE RD (MD 77).  we stayed a second night at GREENBRIER
STATE PARK.

JUNE 27, 1997 - FRIDAY

	another day off for me.  i seem to have developed a depressive
state, or FUNK.  i think most hikers realize troubling times, but can
take time off in one place, a town or shelter, and not miss any of the
trail.  the SLACKPACK TOUR continues, though, whether i hike or not, and
i am missing miles...
	the ladies hiked from FOXVILLE ROAD to OLD FORGE PARK.  we have
now entered PENNSYLVANIA, and will soon be past the actual halfway point.
 after so much time in VIRGINIA, it has been a pleasure moving so quickly
through WEST VIRGINIA and MARYLAND.  we feel as if we are finally making
progress...
	we all had a treat, and went to the movies.  we saw CON-AIR.
plenty of action, but not much substance!  it was a later than usual
night for us, but the diversion was exhilerating.  we stayed at CALEDONIA
STATE PARK...

JUNE 28, 1997 - SATURDAY

	i hiked today.  the ladies hiked today.  PANTHER FAN even hiked
today!  we all headed out from OLD FORGE PARK.  PANTHER FAN and i ended
our hike at CALEDONIA STATE PARK, which is where we were staying.  the
ladies continued on to SANDY SOD JUNCTION...
	the weather was perfect, not all that hot, with very little
humidity.  summer had come with a vengeance, but now seems to be settling
down.  i believe, though, that we can expect many hot, humid days in the
future...
	the ELEVATION MAP for the section that we hiked showed a long
severe ascent in the beginning, but, alas, it was wrong.  the hike was a
short ascent, then smooth sailing.  it also seemed that the mileage was
wrong.  the fifeteen miles seemed much less...

JUNE 29, 1997 - SUNDAY

	i have taken to sleeping on PICNIC TABLES.  i was sleeping in the
van, but we then started staying where there were tables.  the first
night that i did this, TIMMY was on her midnight trek to the ladies room
and was startled to see this MASS on the table!  she had not known that i
planned to sleep there.  SUNSHINE snapped a picture one morning because
she thought it so unusual...
	we transported the ladies to SANDY SOD JUNCTION to begin their
hike.  i did not hike.  the guys and i scouted out the hiking
destinations for the next few days, ate breakfast, then headed for PINE
GROVE FURNACE STATE PARK.  this is the destination of todays hike.  we
secured a campsite, then drove to the CAMP STORE, where the trail passes,
to await the ladies.  there is a long standing tradition at the store
called the HALF GALLON CLUB.  anyone downing a half gallon of ice cream,
before it melts, gets to join the club, signing a special register, and
receiving a special wooden spoon.  there were many hikers at the store
eating ice cream..
	the ladies arrived, we ordered some greasy cheeseburgers and
fries from the store, then headed back to the campsite.  SUNSHINE was not
feeling well and hit the sack.  the rest of us were pretty sedate.  HOOPS
stopped by to say hello and let us know that he and M&M were members of
the HALF GALLON CLUB.  we then made plans to get together for JULY 5TH
FIREWORKS in HERSHEY PA...

JUNE 30, 1997 - MONDAY

	the ladies began their hike from PINE GROVE FURNACE STATE PARK.
the guys and i headed for the CARLISLE PA area to have breakfast and gas
up the van.  we then headed to the hikers destination, WHISKEY SPRING
ROAD, near BOILING SPRINGS PA.  PETER PAN arrived.  he is taking TIMMY
home to NORTH CAROLINA so that she can have some mid-hike doctoring.  the
rest of us are headed to the PITTSBURGH PA area to visit with my parents.
 we also have plans to visit the KENNYWOOD AMUSEMENT PARK...

JULY 1 and JULY 2, 1997 - TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY

	two days away from the trail for all of us...

Rick Mann, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@bigfoot.com
www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404
800-803-2767