[at-l] Re: Next Year

You will have to set a good pace if you start around May 15th. I have
some friends on now who started May 1st and passed the 600 mile pt. on
June 27th. They started out slow and everyone else at that time started
out fast. They said they have just about passed everyone now. I think
that is the best way to start your hike. It is easy to get burned out
when you start quickly. They also would take their time, leave camp
late, eat late, and enjoy the scenery. When they left my house a week
ago one was carrying a 53 pd. pack. That is pretty heavy! I think if you
plan well you can get by with 30 - 40 pounds. As far as training. Do a
lot of walking with a 30 - 40 pound pack.  Walter