[at-l] Re: Katahdin, &Trail Trooper :)

At 5:03 PM -0400 7/1/97, Snodrog5@aol.com wrote:
> Just got back from Katahdin, the Mountain was open everywhere except the
>Saddle Trail. Bad news was on Sat my seven year old and I were first up the
>Hunt Trail ( the AT) but were passed quickly by groups of 27 and 16 and lots
>of smaller groups. Like they say, the weekends in summer can be crowded on
>this trail. The Rangers were still buzzing about Trail Trooper's hike, they
>were very impressed with him as a person and with his amazing feat for a good
>cause. We need more Troopers!  Happy Trails, TraderJohn and BillyGoat

---------------

I was at Baxter and ABOL trail was rated extremely unstable on Friday. Start
before 6 am when the park gates open and the AT trail won't be filled.

When I visited the Appalachian Trail Cafe in Millinocker, Don Cogswell
was great. They were still buzzing about Trooper and all the South bounders
leaving.

The power was out for two hours when I arrived in the cafe but they were
Troopers and russled up ice tea, cold sandwiches, lemon pie, etc.

 Watch out for Don, he'll try to sell you his homemade famous
special $10 palm tree hiking sticks.  He'll show you how strong they are by
trying to bend them.

Don also owns the A. T. Lodge and only charges hikers $20/single and
$32/double and he's got 7 rooms.  Nice bunch of guys.

-Tom "hikenet" Caggiano

http://members.aol.com/hikenet