[at-l] All The Way's Journal 6/23 - 6/28

Monday 6/23 The Potomac to Crampton Gap 10.1 miles
Well rested after several days with our amazing friends the Owens.
Only 10 today, five with my son Phil who is an excellent hiker!
Weaverton cliffs were very cool. We went back to D.C. to go to
REI to get a replacement water filter. The Scout is a shitty filter
for use on the AT. Don't buy one - nothing but trouble for me since
Ga.
We Stayed with Jim & Ginny again tonite. Thru-Hiker wannabes listen up!
Read the Owen's posts, and apply their wisdom. It will greatly increase
your chances of finishing your hike.
Harpers Ferry was a total waste of time. The outfitter wouldn't help
at all with a warrenty return, even though she sells PUR products.
And, she insisted on trying to sell me filters that I know haven't
been working for other thru-hikers. I would walk for days before I
would spend a dime there.
The ATC office was very bus. Nice people but they had almost no time
for the hikers there. It looks like volunteers are badly needed.
The weather is hot and the hiking is good...

All The Way

Tuesday 6/24 Crampton Gap to the I-70 footbridge 12.2 miles
We said "see ya soon" to our friends Jim & Ginny. A late start after
trying to locate Jan's car keys. Flat trail in Md. Easy miles after
days off make me feel like I'm on vacation. We're staying at Cunningham
Falls State Pk. Nice place. The Washington Monument State Park on the
AT was cool too.
I heard that Trail Trooper finished..... Well Done!
Life is good...

All The Way

Wednesday 6/25 I-70 footbridge to PenMar Park 17.4 miles
Hot & humid with some small hills made the day interesting. All flat
with no hills or rocks is boring. Jan picked me up at PenMar and we're
staying another night at Cunningham Falls. After we had a swim in the
lake we hiked to the falls (less than a mile & worth the trip!).
All backpacking (with a full backpack), all the white blazes...

All The Way

Thursday 6/26 PenMar to Caledonia State Park 18.2 miles.
Crossed the Mason-Dixon line at about 8:30 this morning! The next 232
miles are in my home state of Pa. Yahooo! I was raised on rocks and
heat. Hiked into the north with Jan... a real treat for me.
Hot & humid with rain for the last six today.
The trail is good to me...

All The Way

Friday 6/27 Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace State Park 20.0 miles
I LOVE PA TRAILS!!!! Very good hiking.... nice weather.
I got my first blister today. I never felt it until my lunch break.
It happens! Not getting any sympathy from the other thru-hikers who
have already had their share of blisters. I think that I can tolerate
one blister every thousand miles <VBG>.
Pure white blaze backpacking...

All The Way

Saturday 6/28 0.0 miles
A day off at home. Back on the trail tomorrow or Monday.
Thru-hiking is good...

All The Way