[at-l] Pack Trip

I returned from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia last month with an October, 1952
copy of the National Geographic which contains an article entitled,
"Pack Trip Through the Smokies" by Val Hart. She follows the AT for a
lot of the pack trip and the Kodrachromes that accompany her article
show a wonderful cross-section of her writing: Cherokee Indians with
blowguns, schoolchildren getting an unexpected recess at the Cataloochee
School, 15 foot high blossoming Rhododendrons and an 82 inch diameter
Mountain Laurel. Must be nice...I envy you Felix. Hope you can find that
issue sometime all.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Labarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and blows,

('The Cremation of Sam McGee', by Robert Service)

Doug
(still some snow on the mountains around here)

--
       Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind. (Zen saying)

       Doug Gibbons, Port aux Basques, Newfoundland
       http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ae050/Profile.html