[at-l] All The Way's Journal 6/14 -6/22

Saturday 6/14 Rockspring Hut to Skyland 4.6 miles
I left Rockspring at noon, and I was the first one out of the shelter.
Everyone seemed tired, and the rain just killed all motivation to move.
I ate some very old fermented jelly last night. So... when 4-Miler
offered to share his cabin I decided to go for it. Indoor plumbing is
a welcome comfort until the jelly finishes passing thru my system! I
won't eat that stuff again <VBG>. The day has passed just napping,
eating food that someone else has prepared, and talkin with my love
on the phone. Life is good...

All The Way

Sunday 6/15 Skyland to Pass Mountain Hut 10.5 miles
Livin' large in the Shenandoah! AYCE carved roast beef supper at
Skyland last night. AYCE breakfast at Skyland. Then... at the Pinnacle
picnic ground I was taken in by a very large black family celebrating
Father's Day. Ribs, chicken, deviled eggs, baked beans, chicken salad,
potato salad, macaroni salad and much more food. PLUS ALL THE BEER
that this hiker could drink. I can't remember being treated so well by
anyone other than immediate family. The short day and good food is easy
on the body and good for the mind. Mary's Rock was a great side trip.
Happy Fathers day to all the dads.
Livin' large...

All The Way

Monday 6/16 Pass Mtn. Hut to Gravel Springs Hut 13.1 miles.
Very nice day. Mid 70's, sunny, easy grades, good footing. I saw a
large rattlesnake - good photo-op. I forgot to mention that I saw
another bear at Thornton Gap yeaterday. I'll be doing some hiking
with my family from Harpers Ferry in less than a week.
Life is good...

All The Way

Tuesday 6/17 Gravel Springs Hut to Front Royal 13.3 miles
Hot & humid - very nice. Saw three snakes and a gazillion deer today.
Goodbye to SNP. Whoever said that hiking in the Shenandoah was easy
is full of horse feathers. It was different, sure... but easy??? NOT!
Easy hitch to town today. Lookin forward to Harpers Ferry, Jan & the
kids, and possibly meeting Jim & Ginny.

All The Way

Wednesday 6/18 Front Royal to Dicks Dome Shelter 15.1 miles
Great section of trail. Very good walking. Hot & humid with rain and
thunder showers in the afternoon and night. Good hiking weather for me.
I had breakfast in town, then I got a late start - Hard hitch out of
town. Had lunch at Jim & Molly Denton shelter, then supper at Manassas
Gap shelter while I waited out the thunder storm. Then on to Dicks
Dome in a light rain. On to Harpers Ferry.
All the white blazes...

All The Way

Thursday 6/19 Dicks Dome to Bears Den Hostel 19.5 miles
Hiking in soggy boots over rocks, many blowdowns and poorly maintained
trail made for a difficult day.
Microwave pizza (3), Cherry Garcia, and great hospitality made for a
terriffic evening.
Harpers Ferry & Jan tomorrow!

All The Way

Friday 6/20 Bears Den to The Potomac River 19.7 miles
Hazy, hot & humid again. Good hiking weather. Easy ridge walking.
My Pur Scout filter is broken - trashed. (Just as well, it was a
piece of crap anyway). I drank seven liters of water today and nine
liters yesterday. Four liters were untreated.
Its good to be in Harpers Ferry. Pizza, beer & on to the Owens for
some R&R.
Life is good...

All The Way

Saturday 6/21 Jim & Ginny's home 0.0 miles
Great Celtic festival today!

Sunday 6/22 0.0 miles
R&R, we watched an ultralight backpacking video and I'm trying to
reduce my pack weight.