[at-l] Re: Stream Crossings

In a message dated 97-06-27 20:24:48 EDT, MManzano@aol.com writes:

<< I need to hear from people who hike up north, say in
 Maine, as to whether I will be glad to have my West Branch sandals or if I
 could do with something much lighter.  Another plus for the Merrells is that
 I could hike in them in an emergency, (say, if my boots would completely
crap
 out), which I'd hate to try in flip-flops.

Last year I hike thru Maine and NH in October and November. I used the
cheapie teva-knockoff sandals purchased at Rite Aid, and they were fine even
in the cold weather. Of course, I carried an extra pair of heavy socks to
wear in camp along with the sandals, but that's still lighter than the
heavyweight sandals. Temps got down in the 20's and I was fine. Just make
sure the straps fit you before you buy the sandals. I had to do a bit of
surgery on mine to make them fit. Don't buy the flip flops. They do NOT work
on stream crossing. But you can find the multi-strap river-type sandals
easily enough. Hiking in the cheapies would be a challenge, but I suppose,
like so much of life, if you REALLY had to........