[at-l] Postcards from Ron, Linda & Brandon Moak, June 21 - 23

June 21 - Saturday

It was tough leaving Gary and Lannie Poteat at the Blueberry Patch this
morning, but the trail beckoned.  So, stuffed with the lightest pancakes, we
were off for our meeting with the North Carolina border.

Along the trail at Plum Orchard Shelter we were able to say "thanks" to
several of the maintenance crews that keep the trail in excellent shape.

Shortly after leaving the last crew, we encountered heavy rain from the
thunder storms that surrounded us.  The rain died out but the storms lingered
a while longer with their display of thunder and lightning.  The thickening
fog gave it all an eerie feeling as we traveled along the ridge.

Things had cleared considerably by the time we reached the border.  It's a
good feeling to cross a state line.

That good feeling dissolved quickly as we climbed the ridge out of Bly Gap.
Neither of us had paid attention to profile on the trail map.  For a while I
felt like we had crossed into Maine and not North Carolina.

Some of our strength has been regained after a good meal here at the Muskrat
Shelter.
					Fallingwater (Ron)

June 22 - Sunday

Today's hiking was a sharp contrast to yesterday's feat.  We covered 16 plus
miles under sunny skies and with smooth trails.  The climb up Standing Indian
was fast and easy.  On top of the mountain the rhododendron and laurel were in
bloom.  A carpet of fine green grass covered large areas, giving us a visual
feast.

The views from the top were quite extensive.  It would have been great to
spend a couple of hours soaking up rays, but the trail called.

The rest of the morning and afternoon were spent strolling along the pleasant
trails between Standing Indian and Albert Mountain.

This has sure been a stark contrast to 20 years ago, when we covered the area
in a heavy snow fall.
					Fallingwater (Ron)

June 23 - Monday

Our decision yesterday to take an early dinner break, then hike on to Betty
Creek Gap was a good one for a couple of reasons.  First, Carter Gap Shelter
was a dump in sad repair, and second, hiking the extra miles put us in a much
better striking distance for Albert Mountain this morning.

The trail up past Mooney Gap and most of Albert was a pleasant stroll,
interrupted only occasionally by blowdowns or rocks.  Since we were prepared
for it, the last .2 mile up the fire tower on top was also something to be
enjoyed.  It's pretty much straight up, over boulders, branches, rocks and log
steps.  The reward at the top, however, is a stunning 360 degree panorama from
the fire tower.  We lingered for a while to drink in the breeze and the views.

Most of the rest of the trail down to Wallace Gap was anti-climactic.  We were
just in cruise mode to get to Rainbow Springs Campground.  The siren song of
the showers, clean clothes, and a cabin on the river were driving my
blister-ridden feet along.  It's only been three days since we were clean, but
it only takes a couple of hot, sweaty climbs to create an aroma that would
drive most wild animals away.

Arrived at Wallace Gap around 12:30, then pounded the last mile down the road
to Rainbow Springs.  We're all clean now, clean clothes, pizza for dinner, and
relaxing on the rockers on the front porch overlooking the Nantahala River.  A
cool evening breeze is blowing.  Ah, this is why we do this.  I remember now.
				Red Rainbow (Linda)

Total miles  102.5