[at-l] Summer Sleeping Bag

>Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:52:49 +0000
>From: Diana <raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
>Subject: [at-l] summer sleeping bag review (long)
>
>Since there has been so much discussion on lightweight sleeping bags, I
>thought I'd post the results of the gear review from the June 97 issue
>of backpacker magazine. hit delete now if you don't care... :)
>
>Since i didn't want to type the whole article, i'm just posting the
>ratings that each bag got. if you want specifics on a particular bag,
>e-mail me and i'll try to hook you up. All bags are rated 35 to 40
>degrees, (supposedly) weigh under 2# and cost under $200.

Hi Raven,
Thanks for all the information you posted.  For myself I am more comfortable
with a sleeping bag that is 62"x46" shoulder/foot girth.  I've tried Western
Mountaineering 38 degree Iroquis bag 59"x38" shoulder/foot girth weight 1 lb
7 ozs and it felt to tight for my liking.  I am 5' 10" 175 lbs and with the
62" shoulder size I can move around and have a more relaxing rest.
Western Mountaineering also offers Mitylite 62"x46" shoulder/foot girth, 12
oz. down, rated 40 degrees, size 6"3" ( they don't make a smaller version,
so I may cut it down, I mean have a tailor do this), 1 lb 9 ozs and the
price is $190.00.
I now use their Aspen Dryloft bag, 62"x46" shoulder/foot girth, 20 degree, 2
lbs 6 ozs and I am quite pleased with the quality and comfort provided.
Just food for thought.
Take care,
John O
               John O    E-mail johno@mail.monmouth
                        Brick, New Jersey
            (---- :-)  happy hiker with their umbrella
60 miles north of Atlantic City   60 miles south of New York City