[at-l] summer sleeping bag review (long)

Since there has been so much discussion on lightweight sleeping bags, I
thought I'd post the results of the gear review from the June 97 issue
of backpacker magazine. hit delete now if you don't care... :)

Since i didn't want to type the whole article, i'm just posting the
ratings that each bag got. if you want specifics on a particular bag,
e-mail me and i'll try to hook you up. All bags are rated 35 to 40
degrees, (supposedly) weigh under 2# and cost under $200.

And now.... THE BAGS!!

All bags are rated on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being poor and 5 being
excellent. I gave the weight that was reported by backpacker's scales,
not the manufacturers weights.

Cascade Designs - Synergy 40
--
Price: $154
Insulation: Polarguard 3D
Shell: Ripstop nylon
Lengths Available (inches): 76, 82
Weight (lb, oz): 2,8
Compressibility: 2 needs big stuff sack
Loft: 3 ample thickness
Roominess: 2 too snug
Temp rating: 3 warm body, so-so hood
Weather proofing: 4 good beading action and fat draft tube
Ventilation: 2.5 a bit sticky, unless you open the zipper
Drying time: shell absorbs solar heat slowly
Construction: 1 footbax seams disintegrated
Overall: 1.5
Hi: weather-resistant shell
Lo: bulky; seam separated

Ferrino - HL Micro
--
Price: $145
Insulation: Micro-loft
Shell: ripstop nylon
lengths available: 87
weight: 1,13
compressibility: 4.5 most compact synthetic in test
loft: 2.5 flat as a pancake
roominess: 4 generous width
temp rating: 2 overrated--brrrr!
weatherproofing: 2.5 questionable water resistance
ventilation: 4.5 breathes great; no sweat-lining
drying time: 4 just minutes in a breeze
construction: 3.5 good stitching; but dainty fabric
overall: 2.5
hi: compact package; roomy; breathable
lo: cold

l.l. bean - ultra-lite mummy
--
price: $99
insulation: lite loft
shell: nylon taffeta
lenghts available: 82, 88
weight: 2,6
compressibility: 3.5  decent for its warmth
loft: 3.5 thin but fast
roominess: 4.5 calisthenics, anyone?
temp rating: 4 efficient; warm when wet
weatherproofing: 4 keeps drafts and drizzles out well
ventilation: 3 stuffy, but not intolerable
drying time: 3.5 almost zero absorption
construction: 3.5 solid all over
overall: 4
hi: low price; ample room
lo: limited ventilation

mountain hardware - down upgrade
--
price: $150
insulation: down
shell: nylon taffeta
lengths available: 72, 78
weight: 2,3
compressibility: 4.5 shrinks to nothing
loft: 4.5 thick and quick
roominess: 5 copious; best in test
temp rating: 5 very conservative
weatherproofing: 3.5 beefy draft tube, but bring a hat
ventilation: 3.5 hoodless design helps
drying time: 3.5 dark shell absorbs sun efficiently
construction: 4 a few flying feathers
overall: 4.5
hi: versatile; warm; spacious
lo: no hood

the north face - tourlight
--
price: $155
insulation: polarguard 3D
shell: polyester microfiber
lengths available: 71, 77
weight: 2,2
compressibility: 4 good showing for polarguard 3D
loft: 4 almost down-like
roominess: 2.5 constrictive
temp rating: 3.5 solid 35 degree bag
weatherproofing: 4.5 best hood; huge draft tube
ventilation: 3 a bit sticky on humid nights
drying time: 4 dried during breakfast
construction: 4 sturdy; finished well
overall: 3.5
hi: draftless design
lo: snaggy zipper; dieter's dimensions

slumberjack - super liner
--
price: $95
insulation: quallofil
shell: ripstop nylon
lengths available: 80, 86
weight: 1,15
compressibility: 3 average
loft: 3 slow but sufficient
roominess: 3 broad but short
temp rating: 3.5 decent insulator
weatherproofing: 2 lame hood and draft tube
ventilation: 3 middle of the road
drying time: 3 would be faster with darker fabric
constuction: 2 iffy finishing; cold spots
overall: 2.5
hi: low price
lo: drafty; constricting sack-in-a-sack design

western mountaineering - iroquois
--
price: $195
insulation: down
shell: nylon taffeta
lengths availavble: 76, 82
weight: 1,10
compressibility: 5 super skinny
loft: 5 fat and fast
roominess: 4 plenty of elbow room
temp rating: 5 warmest in test
weatherproofing: 3.5 minor drafts through zipper
ventilation: 4 hot, but not humid
drying time: 3.5 decent for down
construction: 4.5 exquisite workmanship
overall: 5
hi: super-warm; puffy; compact
lo: no draft tube

all the review info is copyright by backpacker magazine.

--
Diana (^raven^) * http://www.geckoworld.com/~raven * Silver Spring, MD
raven@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu * Appalachian Trail '98 - Georgia ----> Maine