[at-l] Advice Needed on Water Filters

hello everyone.

As my first post among the group I suppose it is only proper for me to
introduce myself.
I am a graduate student at University of Florida.  I most enjoy being in
the outdoors.  My interests in camping/hiking were most sparked during my
undergraduate days.  I worked at Glacier National Park  (Summer 1991) and
Grand Teton National Park (Summer 1992)  I thoroughly enjoyed these summers
in the parks.  Since then I have completed a couple of trips in the Mark
Twain Forest area, the Everglades (canoeing) and spent some time in Smokey
Mt National Park on the AT (but certainly nowhere near completing the
Tenn/NC sections).  My next trip is to section hike the GA section.  I am
looking forward to doing this sometime before it gets too cold this year.
Currently I am looking to invest in a water filter.  Up to now I have
mostly borrowed from others supplemented w/ tablets or boiling water.  As a
graduate student I have a limited budget -- affording the "best" is not the
goal right now, but certainly a filter that is dependable and rugged.  I
have noticed that REI has the Katadyn Combi water filter on sale now for
$129.00.
(http://www.rei.com/shopping/store3/CAMPING/WATER_PURIFICATION/FILTERS/bud/6
11178.html )

This model would be within my budget for a water filter, though I would not
want to spend much over $130.00.  Does anyone have any suggestions or
experience w/ this company and/or this specific product?  Other reliable
products within this price range?  Suggestions?

Thanks for your help and hope to see you on the trail one day.

Brian Burgess
University of Florida
Chemical Engineering Department
352.392.5015