Re: [at-l] down v fake fluff?

WALTERS, AMYE JEANNE wrote:

> So I was all set to invest in a 0 degree down bag, which is what I had
> my heart set on in the winter. But then the last saleman I talked to
> steered me towards a synthetic bag bc they are more functional in wet
> weather,

I listened to the same talk from many salesmen when looking for my new
bag.  Keeping a down bag dry is very important.  In the summer that
means being really sure to keep it in a plastic bag.  In the winter,
it's harder because your body gives off water vapor as you sleep
which will freeze rather than evaporate, and can build up in any bag
unless you use a VBL.  This adds weight to both types of bags but
affects the insulating properties of down more.
And synthetic bags are earier to wash.

This said, I have to say I picked down anyway <<<G>>> because I adjust
things so that I don't sweat much in my sleep and down_is_lighter.
And in my book, unless someone else is carrying it, weight is always
the primary consideration.

BTW...there are different qualities of fake fluff.  I believe, some
folks on this list, have reported that Liteloft  looses it's
loft/insulation capability more quickly than others fills by .  YMMV