Re: [at-l] thru hikers

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, kahlena wrote:

> Steve Gross wrote:
>  I've noticed some the
> > thru-hikers I've talked to have left me with the impression I was
> > imposing on their party by taking a space in a shelter.
>
> Good question...do thru hikers have priority call to the
> shelters?  Personally, I just don't think I'll do the shelter thing
> much.  Don't dig mice...do love the stars.  How will I feel though
> if on a really rainy nite, if I find the shelter full of folks out
> for the weekend?
>  (snip)

Hi everyone,

As far as I know, no one has "priority" in the shelters.  I know some
shelters do have space reserved for thru-hikers, but I think those are
only in the Smokies.  As far as full shelters in the rain, the old adage
applies:  The shelter is full when everyone is inside.

Another shelter issue is the use/overuse of shelters by large groups.
This could be any group from Boy Scouts to college groups.  This is
especially bad in New England around orientation time as some colleges
"orient" their freshmen out in the woods.  Personally, I think
groups of that size should come prepared to tent it.  I remember staying
in a shelter in Massachusetts full of Boy Scouts.  Initially, they weren't
all that interested in making room, but after we got to talking, space
magically appeared.

FWIW,

Jason