Re: [at-l] Re: Into the wild

I read the book,  Chris had a profound effect on many of the people he met on
his trips leading up to his Alaskan adventure.  He was a likable, well
educated kid, with a few family problems.  He would still be alive today
except for 1 simple mistake.  If he had a good map of the area he was camping
in, showing where to go to cross the flooded river that blocked his return to
"civilization".  There was a cable car rigged across the river a few miles
away from where he tried to cross (the author of the book and his guides used
it to go to see the old school bus he died in)....  Well, 2 mistakes, he
should have just stayed on the AT...  What a sad end to a life, to starve to
death in a school bus in the wilderness...

Russ

In a message dated 97-06-01 21:07:13 EDT, coombs@acpub.duke.edu (Steve