[at-l] First Northbound Thru-hiker makes MAINE!!!

Thrilled to make it here alive after battling snow , ice,  and Winter in
the Whites and Mahoosucs.  YAHOOOO!!!!!!!    I think I'm the first to
make it to here who left Springer.   The Whites were horrible and
beautiful at the same time.    This brain and bone weary hiker is
finding it difficult to describe the experience.  There was 3 to 5 feet
of snow through New Hampshire at the higher elevations--about 3500 ft.
--The balds were clear--.  North of Gorham to Andover was less snow  BUT
 Mahoosuc Notch  was  an unbelievable trek.  Had to probe with sticks
before each step to avoid falling into the crevices of unknown depths.
Wingfoot says you can see patches of ice in the crevices in July,  the
crevices will probably still be full of snow this year in July.  I
recommend not hiking any of these sections alone.!
I did not have crampons and used barbed wire wrapped around my boots for
much needed traction.  White blazes are difficult to see going up Old
Speck and if you get to the fire tower then you missed the trail.
Getting lost is very easy to do, most white blazes were not visible
because of the snow, and I was following footprints and hoped for the
best.  Some of the shelters were still snow covered and not dug out in
the Whites.  I don't suppose many people use the old Fire Warden Trail
on Speck, so one could be lost for a long time.  Still amazed and happy
I made it down from there.
To those behind me, I hope the snow is melted by the time you get to the
Whites.  Maine has been the most challenging so far,   I'm happy to be
here but sad my hike is almost over.  I guess only a hiker can
understand these feelings.  Hope all behind me have a safe and happy
hike.

"Trail Trooper"   GA-ME
   Joe Christaldi       Lancaster,  Pa

P.S.            Started Springer on March 28, 1997
Don't go as fast as I did.   Take time to enjoy the trail.  I had a time
restriction and regret going so fast.  I was averaging 20 to 30 miles
per day until the Whites.   Next time I will take more time  to
experience  the trail more fully.
I am staying at Pine Ellis B&B in Andover and if anyone wants to write to
me here  , Paul & Ilene will forward messages to me.
This is the Best B&B on the Trail.