Re: [at-l] CDT ???

I haven't done much research on the CDT, but here are a few thoughts.

I don't think you should have much trouble in Colorado.  There is a
trail called the Colorado Trail that seems to follow the divide fairly
closely starting in Denver and ending in Durango.  This trail is well
developed and there are plenty of guide books out there for it.

Wyoming shouldn't be too much trouble through the Winds and Yellowstone
area.  Plenty of trails and almost all of it is public land.  The area
between the Colorado Front Range and the Winds may be more difficult.
Less public land in that area.  I would actually suggest skipping that
stretch since the scenery is "limited."

Montana is mostly public land (and a lot of that Wilderness) along the
divide, so there should be plenty of trails in thes area.  Don't know
much about New Mexico, but you should be able to pick your way through.

The logistics of such an adventure should be interesting.  Some of the
larger Wilderness areas may take 2 weeks to cross (the Bob,
Weminuche, Gila, and the Wilderness areas in the Winds come to mind).
Resupply may be difficult or impossible in some areas and I doubt you'll
run into much trail magic (i'm referring to the kind that feeds you).
Also, weather is a problem in all theses areas except during July
and August.

I'll close by saying that the CDT is one of the last great adventures
left in the lower 48.  You'll truly be traveling in God's Country.
In fact, some areas like the san Juans, the Winds, Glacier, and RMNP
are so beautiful, you'll just want to stop and explore these areas
(I could speend a whole summer in any of these places).  Enjoy your
adventure and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you
with your planning and/or hike from here in Colorado.

                           -Tom