[at-l] SLACKPACK TOUR

THE 1997 SLACKPACK TOUR OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
also visit website "www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404"

JUNE 1, 1997 - SUNDAY

	there were no restaurants open on a sunday morning in the
vicinity of PEARISBURG, VA.  we left the RENDEZVOUS HOTEL after eating in
the room, and headed for STILLHOUSE BRANCH ROAD (VA 641), to start our
hike.  of course, the weather on SATURDAY had been perfect, as had all of
our days of so far.  for todays hike, though, the rains were to fall
again...
	we hiked into the clouds to the ridgeline.  PEACHES and LONE
CHAIR, a couple hiking together, were leaving the RICE FIELD shelter
(also known as the STAR HAVEN shelter) as i arrived.  SUNSHINE had beaten
me to the shelter, and there was also another hiking couple at the
shelter, but i don't recall their names.  SUNSHINE left, and TIMMY
arrived while i was at the shelter snacking.  after leaving the shelter,
i ran into SUNSHINE speaking to an older fellow by the name of JOE RICE.
he apparently owns the land that we were hiking on.  he sure can talk...
	the rains began to fall steadily.  hiking in the rain is
interesting.  if it isn't a cold rain, which it wasn't, there is really
no need to put on any rain gear.  everything in your pack should be in
plastic bags, hence the rain will not ruin anything.  your pack gets wet,
but so what?  wearing a baseball type of hat keeps the rain off of the
face and glasses.  it is a cleansing experience, for you and mother
nature...
	the last part of the hike is a gentle switchbacked descent.  we
were to meet the van at a point where the trail comes close to VA 635,
but does not cross it, but the guys weren't there.  the trail does cross
VA 635 about two miles further, so SUNSHINE hiked on.  the van was at
that other location.  to make a longer story short, we all ended up
hiking the extra couple of miles, and tented at the other VA 635 road
crossing...

JUNE 2, 1997 - MONDAY

	i spent a fitful night, and awoke with a raging migraine.
SUNSHINE and TIMMY headed out after breakfast, but i decided not to hike.
 PANTHER FAN, GILAMAN and i headed into BLACKSBURG, VA.  i found a
CHIROPRACTOR, and the guys headed out to do whatever they do during the
day...
	we had lunch at a MEXICAN joint, then headed off to find the VA
42 road crossing.  there was no place to tent at the crossing, so we
headed into NEWPORT, VA, to the APPALACHIAN TRAIL REGIONAL OFFICE.  we
spoke with MIKE DAWSON about locating a place to tent for the night, and
he graciously allowed us to pitch our tents in his backyard, and to use
his bathroom as needed!  he indicated that the trail had previously
passed through NEWPORT, and that over 300 hikers a year would tent in his
yard.  we are happy to acknowledge MIKE's generosity...
	the tents were wet from the previous night, so we pitched them
all, hoping that they would dry out.  the guys headed for the road
crossing to wait for the ladies, and i hit the sack in an effort to ease
the pain from the migraine.  THUNDER, LIGHTNING, and RAIN graced us, off
and on, for the rest of the day.  the wet tents got wetter, but at least
they had gone up before the rains came (pitching a tent in the rain is an
unhappy experience)...
	the rains stopped long enough for us to have supper, and the
ladies were happy to have the use of a FLUSH PRIVY.  we zippered
ourselves in before darkness fell in anticipation of a wet night...

JUNE 3, 1997 - TUESDAY

	it did rain a good deal during the night, but had stopped in the
morning.  this allowed the ladies to break camp, eat, and get on the
trail.  the guys and i headed again to BLACKSBURG.  we went first to a
laundromat to dry everything off, then off to breakfast.  afterwards, i
went again to the CHIROPRACTOR, and the guys headed off somewhere...
	my second trip to the DOCTOR did the trick (my migraine had been
caused by a problem that i have with my spine, and it sometimes takes
this kind of concentrated drastic action to knock it out).  we headed for
the TROUT CREEK (VA 620) road crossing.  on the way, we picked up a few
hikers (WALLACE, CHAMELEON, and LONE STAR) that were thumbing into
CATAWBA, VA...
	the area at the road crossing was flat, but wet.  we pitched the
large tent, and hung tarps in case the rains came anew.  SNOOP and SLYMAN
passed by going SOUTH.  PETER PAN, TIMMY's husband, arrived.  he was not
due to join us until WEDNESDAY, so TIMMY will be pleasantly surprised.
GILAMAN made soup, and a few passing hikers (ROOTBOY, HOOPS, M&M, SQUIGY,
& DINGO) had a hot steaming treat.  SUNSHINE and TIMMY arrived, changed
into dry clothing, and also had some soup.  PETER PAN then took the
ladies out for a shower and supper...

JUNE 4, 1997 - WEDNESDAY

	it again rained during the night, but we survived.  we hiked out
from TROUT CREEK (VA 620) anticipating more rain.  the day actually
turned out to be very decent, with no rain at all.  i hiked some of the
way with SQUIGY (young lady from ENGLAND) and DINGO (young fellow from
AUSTRALIA), and ran into a fellow named SOURWOOD...
	the highlight of the day was some rock hopping near DRAGONS
TOOTH.  TIMMY said that someone with a sick sense of humor put the trail
there, and that it was not a foot path.  instead it was a butt path,
since we had to some sitting and sliding to get down some of the rocks...
	we ended our hike at VA 311, then headed for the ECONO-LODGE at
US 220.  this is were we will be ending our hike tomorrow.  we did
CRACKER BARREL for supper, then crashed...

JUNE 5, 1997 - THURSDAY

	breakfast buffet at WESTERN SIZZLIN, then into the van for a ride
to the trail at VA 311.  todays hike exemplifies the reason we are out
here.  the weather was perfect, and the scenery was spectacular.  any of
you that have a 1997 ATC calendar, turn to MAY and look at the picture.
McAFEE KNOB was 3.5 miles into our hike.  the rock outcropping is
thrilling, and the view of the valley is tremendous.  plus, the
ridgelines that we hike on the rest of the day are visible...
	a few miles up the trail is TINKER CLIFFS.  this is another
thrilling rock outcropping that continues for a half mile or so, with the
trail along the edge.  the views are again tremendous.  we spent a lot of
time at the KNOB and the CLIFFS just mesmerized..
	i finished ther trail in a trance, happy to put my head down and
just hike.  it was a long day for us, and we all were very happy to end
the hike at the motel.  showers, supper, bedtime...

Rick Mann, aka Pittsburgh
slackpacker@bigfoot.com
www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/4404
800-803-2767