[at-l] re the Gathering

staredge@juno.com (William D Horning) asked about the Gathering - By all
means - go!  I have been for the past four years, and it is definitely one
of the highlights of my year.  Location varies (it will be in Dartmouth this
year) but always on Columbus Day weekend.  It is a gathering of long
distance hikers - with workshops, slide shows, discussions, videos on
various long distance trails around the world.  People who have done the
trails talk with those who want to do the trails.  These include several on
the AT, some on the PCT, the CDT, the Long Trail, Finger Lakes Trail, trails
in Europe, etc.  There are also workshops on winter camping, women's issues,
trail issues (i.e.eminent domain), etc. There is also music and square
dancing and some very fine people.  Walkin Jim will be back this fall (my
favorite musician - he sings of the wild places).  Last year was an
incredibly rare treat - Earl Schafer gave his slide show of the first
thruhike!  The year before that there was the fun? of watching Ward Leonard
participate in the trail trivia contest.  This year - who knows?  If you
really dream of long distance hiking and want to spend time with others who
share your dream, this is the place.  But beware - you may fly so high that
the letdown can be a real crash.  I always end up psyched to leave, and then
disappointed when I realize that I still have two years to wait.

See you there!
Ginny