[at-l] All the Way's Journal (5/4-5/10)

Hi Everybody,
Here's some entries that Bob passed along when the kids and I met him in
Pearisburg.
Jan

Sunday 5/4 Damascus, VA to Saunders Shelter 9.4 miles

Damascus Is A Great Town, as towns go.  Most of the towns folk that I
met were overly friendly.  Accomodations at "The Place" were superb.
The food was great (all 40,000 calories)...and, the beer tasted good
too!  I had the opportunity to speak to Janice for close to two hours on
the phone- hearing her voice just about sends me over the edge.  I can
hardly wait 'til we meet in Pearisburg.

For as good as town was however, it is better to be back on the trail.
I seriously question whether I'll ever be able to comfortably live
indoors again.

I left Damascus shortly after breakfast this morining in the rain.  I
think that the rain is over for now though, as the sun is shining
brightly.

My pack is very heavy now.  (My food bag weighs over 35lbs.- ten days
worth of food from my mail drop and $25.00 worth of fresh food and
canned goods purchased in town).  Since I have about two weeks to get to
Pearisburg to meet Jan, I figured that I may as well "live large"
between here and there.

Since Roan Mountain the terrain has seemed quite easy- I think that I
could pull any mileage that I wanted to without strain or injury.
Landshark did a 40 mile day coming into Damascus from Watuga Lake.  It
took him about 17 hours.  I mentioned before that he was a fast mover-
now he's a long and fast mover!

All the best to everyone.

All the Way

Monday 5/5 Saunders Shelter to Thomas Knob Shelter 18.6 miles

This Section Was a Bit More Strenuous than I had anticipated!  I rested
very well last nite,(I was alone in the shelter) but my food bag is
still very heavy.  I saw no thru hikers who were hiking the AT today.
Everyone else hiked the Virginia Creeper Trail as it paralleled the AT
in order to avoid some hills.  I would consider that a yellow- blaze-
after all, it is a railROAD bed. (I guess that will get some flames
flyin').

This section of trail was not nearly as well maintained as the sections
south of here... lots of garbage on the ground near all of the road
crossings and intersection with VA Creeper.

On a more positive note, the views from the areas less traveled are very
beautiful.

It's 9PM and the ponies just showed up outside of the shelter.  I hope
the photos come out!

Here tonite with a half dozen section hikers and Papa Smurf!
All the white blazes, (it's my hike). <VBG> Life is good.

All the Way

Tuesday 5/6 Thomas Knob Shelter to Old Orchard Shelter 11.0 miles

Good Hiking Today... sunny and very windy and cold at higher elevations,
after the rain last nite.  Traversed many of the high open meadows- saw
several herds of the wild ponies. (Got some day time photos).  Grayson
Highlands is an interesting place.  After coming off the high meadows I
saw several very large deer in the hardwoods.  Eleven miles should have
been an easy day, but my body and mind feel tired... feet are sore from
the rocks- muscles are sore- it was somewhat of a struggle to maintain
my balance in the high winds today- hard muscle cramps several times
today.  I don't know why, I know that I'm adequately hydrated.  I also
experienced gastro-intestinal disturbances for most of the day...
resting my body and mind for the past several hours has felt very fine.
Looking forward to a good nights sleep and some good miles with a
lighter food bag tomorrow.  Here tonite with Just Bill and Papa Smurf.
Tired but very happy- missing Janice(10 days!).  Life is very good...

All the Way

Wednesday 5/7 Old Orchard Shelter to Mount Rogers NRA Headquarters 24.8
miles

Awesome Hiking Today!  Easy grades- many of the miles offered good
footing too.  My feet are stll sore. (Some sections had rocks just like
home in PA).

Took a nice 2 hour break(with meal)at Trimpi Shelter.  I thought about
staying, but a group of six or so section hikers(police officers from
Indiana) decided to come in so... I decided to leave in search of
solitude or better company.  I managed to do the 10 miles from Trimpi to
here in less than three and a half hours.  Saw seven deer and a turkey.
White blazes...

All the Way

Thursday 5/8 Mt.Rogers Headquarters to Davis Path Shelter 14.2 miles

Had A Good Nite at the HQ last night...pizza and beer delivered!, talked
to Janice, then solitude.  Had a short climb and ridge walk in the sun
for the first seven miles this morning...ate lunch at Chatfield,
(renamed Louise something Shelter, I rested, ate, and even washed off
some of the previous days grime.  In the afternoon, I crosses I-81 and
hiked through fields and pasture land in liquid sunshine(slow, easy, not
too cold rain).  Rain tonight too!   Life is good.  Here tonite: Little
Toe, Smiles, Huff, and, Puff.

All the Way

Friday 5/9 Davis Path Shelter to Knot Maul Branch Shelter 11.0 miles

Gray, Rain, and Cold... don't mind if it's the weather or my body but I
feel tired and sore... listening to my body, and upholding my reputation
as a fair weather hiker.  I decided to shelter hop and call it a day
after 11.  Right now I'm dry, warm, and almost full.  A happy camper.
Life is good.
P.S. One week 'til I see Janice and the kids.

All the Way

Saturday 5/10 Knot Maul Branch Shelter to Chestnut Knob Shelter 9.0
miles

The Day Started Cold, Gray, and Windy.  I hiked up Chestnut Ridge and
decided to stay.  Rest for the body and mind!  I felt tired again
today.  It probably is the weather affecting my mental attitude.  I make
note to correct that.

This afternoon was superb!  Terrific views, rest, very high, cold winds,
but an enclosed shelter... very, very nice.  I got turned on to the best
of trail magic today... met Pete, and had good conversation much of the
afternoon, ate Ramps, then ate steak, and drank a little locally
produced wine.  Good time.  Good place.  Pete is just visiting one of
his favorite places.  Very nice person... six days 'til visit.  Life is
good.

All the Way