[at-l] Huts in the White Mountains

My thru-hiking son, Alec, has asked me to ask you all what your
experiences have been vis a vis the Hut System in the Whites.  He is
currently in Dalton MA and expects to be entering the Whites in two
weeks or so.  It has been his hope that he could be a paying guest at
many of the Huts, but he wonders now, from things that I have copied to
him from this list, whether that is an unrealistic hope.  There are, of
course, not a huge number of thru-hikers vying for space, whether paying
or not, yet, but what about day hikers and families?  Since he won't
know until he gets closer when he will actually reach any given hut,
what are the odds that he will be able to get a space?  He mostly wants
to have a feel for this so he doesn't have unrealistically optimistic
expectations...

Thanks for any advice you might have for Alec...he says "hello" to all
of you ATML folks.

Katherine Beard
Free Union VA