[at-l] Hike in CT and some questions

Hi everybody,

My wife and I took my sister-in-law on her first overnighter this weekend
in CT.  We stayed at Mt. Algo lean-to just up from CT 341 in Kent on
Friday night and headed south on the AT to Ten Mile River lean-to (about
8.5 miles) Saturday.  The hike was wonderful though a bit tough for her
(and us too :) and the weather was spectacular.  Lots of great views on
that section.  The lean-to at Ten Mile River is new (built in 1995) and
there is a tested water pump as a water source (though I don't think you
would need a mineral supplement after drinking it).  We suffered no side
effects from the water and had a good time cooling off in Ten Mile River.
Sunday broke warm and humid and the hike back up Schaghticoke Mt. was hot
and sweaty.  The whole day was muggy but the hike back seemed shorter than
it had the previous day.  All in all a great weekend, topped off of course
with a pint of B&J at the local Country Mart.

So, on to the questions.  As I mentioned, the day was very hot and muggy
and the sweat was flowing freely.  Needless to say the suspension on my
backpack was soaked and I was wondering if anyone had any experience
"rinsing" it off.  On a long-distance hike, you just wait for the rain and
it probably does a good enough job.  But what about now?  Anyone tried
rinising it in the shower of bathtub?  Does one "wash" a pack?  (Now you
all know how clean my pack must be :)

Another question regarding the effects of such sweating on certain areas
of the body.  Does anyone have any suggestions re: defending
against this friction in the future?  Not really a problem this weekend
since we were coming home.  But I could definitely see that as a problem
on this summer's section hike.  I was thinking Vaseline would help the
situation but thought someone might have experience with something else.
And let's just say that I sweat A LOT!!  So sprinkling talcum powder or
some such won't do much good after a while.

Thanks in advance for your input and for wading through this rambling
message.  The hike was great and we are looking forward to this summer's
expedition.  Oh, and by the way, Holy Cannoli is pretty good but I'll take
Chunky Monkey any day. :)  See you on the Trail,

Jason